I was born in Lichfield, Staffordshire and now live in Somerset, growing up in Poole, Dorset. After completing A-Levels at Poole Grammar School, I went on to an art foundation at Shelley Park, Bournemouth and graduated from Falmouth College of Arts in 1995.
As a graphic fine artist, I work exclusively in graphite and am interested by detail, texture and tone inspired by elements of the ancient landscape and stories of Wessex and from other journeys.
I create my drawings by research into the nature and history of places that interest me; this could involve geology, ecology, historical remains or natural history. Walking is an important part of my working process, getting to know a particular area well and understanding how it was shaped. Much of my work comes from places that have a historical meaning or personal significance to me and the work is mostly a response to being affected by a memory or experience. I am keen to make links between places that I find and the stories that fashioned them. I use poetry, maps and nature writing as stimuli.
I am also interested in the way nature manifests itself on human objects and how it abstracts these forms, such as overgrown remains, weathering, seasonal change and decay. I look for evidence of human activity changing landscapes into places, creating unique locations which can affect, uplift or threaten.
My work has been exhibited in various galleries across the South West, including the Bath Society of Artists and the Royal West of England Academy as well as in London with the Society of Graphic Fine Arts.
I have worked as a trustee at Black Swan Arts in Frome, and also as a curator and in events organisation, currently with Somerset Art Works, and curated the 2016 QUARTZ Art Festival in Taunton.
- December- Curated ’12 Days’, The Round Tower, Black Swan Arts, Frome
- December- part of ‘A Wessex Scene’, Messums, Wiltshire
- December- part of ‘Wish List’, Andelli Art, Wells, Somerset
- November- part of ‘Mixing Signals’, Kobi and Teal, Frome, Somerset
- July- Group show, ’50 Bees- The Interconnectedness of All Things’, ACEarts, Somerton, Somerset
- May- Group show, ‘Alternative Realities’, part of Fringe Arts Bath
- May- Edited version of ‘The Transformed Land’ moved to The Circle, Bath
- May- ‘In the Margins’ selected for Bath Society of Artists Annual Open
- March- Curated ‘The Transformed Land’, group show with 12 artists, Taunton Brewhouse
- December- curated Quartz Art Festival, Queens College Taunton
- December- 30 Years | 30 Artists, Black Swan Arts
- September- Pop up Open Studio at The Gallery in Castle Cary for SAW2016
- April- Long-listed for the Jacksons Open Art Prize
- March- joint exhibition with sculptor Brendon Murless at Duke’s Fine Art showroom, Dorchester
- January- Ilminster Meeting House Group Show
- November- Black Swan Arts Annual Open, ‘Nissen Hut Remains’ selected
- October- Royal West of England Academy 163rd Annual Open, ‘Coastal Entrance’ selected
- October- SGFA Annual Open Draw 15, ‘The Raven’s Turn’ and ‘Turning at Haytor’ selected
- September- The Big Draw, Plough Arts Centre, Great Torrington- ‘Boulders Break the Surface’ and ‘Haytor Gasping’ selected
- August- Ilminster Meeting House Annual Open, joint 2nd prize for ‘Writhing Ash’; ‘Coastal Entrance’ also selected
- July- Bruton Art Factory Summer Show- ‘Nissen Hut Remains’ and ‘Boulders Break the Surface’ selected
- July- work featured in Taunton Live! with Phoenix Community
- July- Frome Open Studios trail
- July- Thelma Hulbert Gallery, Honiton- Evolver Arts Magazine Prize 2015- ‘In the Margins’ selected for Top 50 exhibition
- May- Bath Society of Artists 110th Annual Open- ‘Writhing Ash’ and ‘Turning at Haytor’ selected
- May- Dorchester Arts Open, ‘Ash Skywards’ and ‘Day’s End at Eggardon’ selected
- April- Royal West of England Academy, Bristol- ‘Drawn’- ‘Boulders Break the Surface’ selected
- March- participating artist in ‘Drop me a Line’, Thelma Hulbert Gallery, Honiton
- January- Black Swan Arts, Frome, Pop-up studio- ‘Netted in a Silver Mist’
- October- The Old Print Room, Gillingham- ’Netted in a Silver Mist’- solo show, with writer Jill Harris
- August- Cafe la Strada, Frome- ‘Wessex Stories’ Early work and reproduction prints
- July- Frome Open Studios
- July- Thelma Hulbert Gallery, Honiton, Bi-Annual Open- ‘Imminent’ selected
- April- Bath Society of Artists Annual Open- ‘Langdon Hill’ and ‘Bellever Tor’ selected. ‘Langdon Hill’ awarded the Diane Bourdon-Smith drawing prize
- March- The Meeting House, Ilminster, Annual Open- 2 pieces ‘Haytor Gasping’ and ‘KesTor’ selected
- December- Royal West of England Annual Open- ‘Imminent’ and ‘Retreat’ selected
- November- The Old Print Room, Gillingham- Biophilia- ‘Ash Skywards’ selected
- October- Society of Graphic Fine Art Annual Open- ‘Font’ and ‘Middlebere Heath’ selected
- June- Bath Society of Artists Annual Open- ‘Tyneham Rectory’ selected, awarded Diane Bourdon-Smith Drawing prize